Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Hero is More Than Just A Sandwich . . . . .

Gabby Giffords doesn't need no stinking memo instructing her how to be a compassionate and empathetic human being.

What an inspirational woman.

Observe:



TODAY, the anniversary of the shooting in Tucson that put a bullet through my head and killed six of my constituents, is when I make my annual resolutions.
Many may look at me and see mostly what I have lost. I struggle to speak, my eyesight’s not great, my right arm and leg are paralyzed, and I left a job I loved representing southern Arizona in Congress.
But three years ago, dispatched to an almost certain death by an assassin’s bullet, I was allowed the opportunity for a new life. I had planned to spend my 40s continuing my public service and starting a family. I thought that by fighting for the people I cared about and loving those close to me, I could leave the world a better place. And that would be enough.
Instead, I’ve spent the past three years learning how to talk again, how to walk again. I had to learn to sign my name with my left hand. It’s gritty, painful, frustrating work, every day. Rehab is endlessly repetitive. And it’s never easy, because once you’ve mastered some movement or action or word, no matter how small, you move on to the next. You never rest.
I asked myself, if simply completing a normal day requires so much work, how would I ever be able to fulfill a larger purpose? The killing of children at the school in Sandy Hook a little over a year ago gave me my answer. It shocked me, it motivated me, and frankly, it showed me a path. After that day, my husband and I pledged to make it our mission to change laws and reduce gun violence in a way that was consistent with our moderate beliefs and our identities as proud gun owners. We knew it wouldn’t be easy, that special interests were arrayed against us, that congressional dysfunction was an enemy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/opinion/gabrielle-giffordss-call-for-persistence-on-gun-reform.html?ref=opinion&_r=1


If there were even just a handful of congress critters in the GOP ranks who had the soulful courage and heartfelt selflessness of Gabby Giffords, perhaps there would be some hope of redemption for the Republican party yet.

But instead - we get this:

As Congress is attempting to negotiate a deal to extend unemployment benefits to the 1.3 million Americans who lost them at the end of December, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is seizing the opportunity to refocus attention on Obamacare. On the Senate floor on Tuesday, McConnell suggested that Democrats should agree to a one-year delay in Obamacare’s individual mandate in order to offset the cost of reinstating unemployment benefits for one year.
Quickly reaching a deal on unemployment benefits, rather than haggling over proposals to attack the health law, could actually end up benefiting the economy. In the week immediately following Congress’ failure to extend unemployment benefits, states lost out on $400 million. According to the CBO, if these federal benefits aren’t restored, the U.S. could lose about 200,000 jobs this year due to reduced consumer spending.
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/01/07/3128111/mcconnell-obamacare-unemployment/


Holding the extension of benefits for the long-term unemployed hostage, like the Sword of Damocles over 1.5 million American's heads, just so you can score political points with the right wing assholes in your party's base, is pretty much the best that the Republicans can muster in the realm of human decency.

Gabby Giffords has more class, decency and dignity in her pinky finger than Mitch McConnell and his collective GOP caucus could ever wet-dream hope of achieving.



----TFG



No comments:

Post a Comment